Order MC Authority
An MC Number is also called an operating authority or trucking authority. Operating authority is most commonly needed when you’re planning on:
- -> Working for hire in interstate commerce (hauling loads in more than one state)
- -> Hauling hazardous materials
- -> Transporting passengers or arranging transport in interstate commerce
- -> Hauling federally regulated loads or arranging transport in interstate commerce
There are different types of trucking authority, including:
- -> Motor Carrier of Property
- -> Motor Carrier of Household Goods
- -> Broker of Property
- -> Broker of Household Goods
The FMCSA does not offer refunds if you apply for the wrong type of authority. It may cost you more if you apply for the wrong one, so you should know what type of authority you need before you apply.
After your MC is filed, you will need to have your Insurance and BOC-3 attached. The FMCSA will not start vetting your application until these are attached. It takes at least 21 days for your MC Number to be active.